Last Updated on February 9, 2022 by Anne-Marie
Wondering how to watch MSNBC live on your Roku streaming device?
Here are some of the BEST ways to stream MSNBC with a minimum of effort.
First, let’s be clear, there is no way to watch MSNBC for free on your Roku device. Not even on NBC’s Peacock app (free or paid).
There used to be an MSNBC app for Roku. But it was discontinued.
However, you can still SAVE TIME AND MONEY with these easy streaming tips.
Download the NBC App on Your Roku
Do you have a cable subscription? Then you can watch MSNBC on Roku’s NBC App.
In no time, you’ll be watching your favorites like Morning Joe, Ari Melber, Chris Hayes, the Rachel Maddow Show, The Last Word, and 11th Hour.
What’s the point, you say?
You can SAVE MONEY by getting rid of those money-sucking cable boxes! Just keep one for your main viewing area, like the living room.
Does your cable provider have a Roku app?
If your provider does have an app, then you can get rid of all your cable boxes. Replace them with Roku devices and save even more dough!
Besides watching MSNBC live, here are some other benefits of the NBC news app:
- watch NBC shows the day they air
- watch CNBC for all your business and financial news
- you get NBC Nightly News and the morning news programs
- enjoy hundreds of old favorite shows for FREE
- don’t forget to check out the original Peacock content, too!
How to set up MSNBC live:
1. Press the home button on your Roku remote.
2. Then go to the Search option bar and type in NBC.
3. Choose the NBC app from the Roku channel store. Then add it.
4. To activate the NBC app, launch the browser on your PC and type in www.nbc.com/activate/ on the address bar.
NOTE: When I did this on my iPhone, I was prompted to download the NBC app. This added extra steps, especially since I didn’t want the app on my phone.
Not sure if this would happen on an Android phone.
5. Type in the activation code when prompted.
6. You will then be asked for your cable provider or streaming provider.
7. After you pick your provider, you’ll need to log into your cable TV subscription or steaming account credentials. So make sure to have that account login info.
8. Once all those steps are followed, the screen refreshes. Then you can stream MSNBC at last.
Use this Method for Other Apps
Or learn about how to watch Facebook live on your Roku, too.
Lost your remote? Learn how to find the Roku IP Address Without a Remote.
What Live TV Streaming Services Carry MSNBC?
Have you completely cut the cord? Several live stream services offer the MSNBC channel.
Real new lovers can stream channels like CNN and CNN International, Fox News, CNBC, and local news channels, too.
Sign Up With YouTube TV to Watch MSNBC on Roku
This is the way I stream MSNBC because it has the best features for $64.99/month.
- Channels: Their 85+ channels lineup includes PBS, which is HUGE in my opinion for lovers of Masterpiece Theater, Ken Burns documentaries, or Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.
Check here to see if your favorite channels are included.
- Sports: You get all the NFL, NBA, and MLB networks.
- Unlimited DVR storage: YouTube TV has unlimited cloud DVR storage space. No need to manage your DVR space by deleting old shows. Or erasing the dumb stuff your kids record.
- Lots of screens: Comes with 3 streams and 6 accounts per household (None of the streaming services has unlimited screens.)
- Local channels: No need for an antenna. You get local live news and all your favorite local channels.
- Free trial: Sign up with your Google account for a two-week trial. This includes up to three streams, unlimited cloud DVR storage, and on-demand content.
- Cancel anytime: You can put your subscription on pause if needed.
- Upgrades: Add the 4K Plus Add-On for superior 4K quality video, recordings offline, and unlimited streams. Pricing varies (usually $9.99 to $19.99 per month). To learn more, go to YouTube TV Help.
- Channels: No History Channel. Looks like we’ll be signing up for the History+ app soon. Check the channel listing to ensure you’re getting all your favorite channels.
Try Hulu Live TV
When we first started live streaming, I chose Hulu because of its unique original content like The Handmaids Tale. Unfortunately, it didn’t have all the channels we wanted, so we switched to YouTube TV.
If you sign up with Hulu, learn The 5 Easiest Ways to Skip & Block Ads on Hulu.
- Local channels: No need for an antenna. You get local news and local live tv services.
- Bundle and save: Get Hulu + Live TV, Disney+, and ESPN+ for $72.99/month.
- Storage: Record live TV with 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage with ads.
- Free trial: 11 day trial for new customers.
- Are you a student? Get Hulu’s ad-supported plan for just $1.99/month! (This isn’t the plan with the live tv channels. But it does give you tons of TV shows and movies for cheap.)
- Get cashback: Are you a Rakuten member? You can get cashback when you sign up with Hulu!
- Not all the sports: Missing NBA and MLB networks.
- Not all the channels: No PBS.
- Storage: For an extra $9.99, you can get 200 total hour DVR with the full fast forward capabilities.)
Sling TV is a Low-Cost Alternative
Sling TV is one of the cheaper ways to cut the cord and get live MSNBC streaming.
It’s also perfect if you’re not hung up on getting local channels or have an HD antenna for that purpose.
To get MSNBC on Sling TV, sign up for Sling Blue or Sling Orange & Blue. (Sling Orange is their basic package, and it doesn’t carry MSNBC.)
- Cheaper: Sling Blue is $10 for the first month and $35/month after that. Sling Orange & Blue is $20 to start, then $50 per month.
- Fantastic for football: You get NFL Channel, ESPN, Fox Sports, and depending on your location Fox and NBC to watch all the games.
- Fabulous for families: Nick Jr., Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network should entertain the older kids. Unfortunately, no PBS and Nickelodeon for the younger children.
- Excellent for newsies: All the channels from MSNBC and CNN to Fox and CBSN.
- Storage: 50 hours of DVR storage is included.
- Streams: Stream 1 for the Blue package up to 3 devices.
- Free trial: No free trial. But you can watch Sling Free online to see if you like it.
- Bundles: Sling offers football bundles, lifestyle bundles, and more.
- More deals: Get free and discounted Chromecasts, Rokus, antennas, Spanish TV, and International TV here.
- Get cashback: Are you a Rakuten member? You can get $15 cashback when you sign up with Sling TV!
- Channels: No History Channel or PBS. Check the channel listing to ensure you’re getting all your favorite channels.
fuboTV offers MSNBC live streaming for sports fanatics
fuboTV gives YouTubeTV a good run for its money, especially if you love news or sports.
- Channels: In my area, fuboTV offers an astonishing 231 channels! But not PBS or History Channel.
- Free trial: 2 week trial for new customers.
- Pricing: $64.99 to $79.99 per month, depending on the features you want. This is comparable to what YouTube TV charges for approximately the same features.
- International TV: Latino Quarterly gives you 3 months of the Best Spanish language TV for $33 per month. This is similar to SlingTV’s Spanish/Mexico/Caribe TV offering.
- Channels: No PBS or History Channel. Again, check their channel listing to ensure you’re getting all your favorite channels.
What’s your favorite way to stream MSNBC on Roku?